Friday, January 27, 2012

What careers can creative writing land me?

I've recently graduated from college with two mostly-useless bachelors degrees: psychology and sociology. During the last year or so of school I'd held that I wanted to pursue a career in creative writing. Specifically, I'd like to write for the entertainment industry--shows, video games, etc. I realize, however, that this is a lofty goal and one I will need time and perseverance to achieve.



In the meantime, I would really love to find some kind of job or career that harnesses my skills with creative writing. I need to support myself, and while I could certainly land a job at a fast food restaurant or a department store or the like, doing something relevant to my future goals would be both vastly more enjoyable and far more useful for achieving those goals.



The problem is, I have no idea what's out there. I'm not politically minded in the slightest, so writing for a newspaper or the like is completely out. Storytelling seems to me to be a mostly useless talent in the realm of financial security, save for those few authors whose works happen to be remarkably well received. I don't exactly have the time at present to go writing a novel, anyway.



So, my question is, does anyone know what else I could possibly do with a surplus of talent with the written word? Or should I just suck it up and start applying at McDonalds and Walmart?What careers can creative writing land me?
I'd love to help, but all I can say is try hard and, if things don't go your way, maybe return to school to get a degree more relevant to writing to do what you truly enjoy. What worked well for me is applying to loads of places, at least one calls you back, no matter how high-profile it seems
  • fashion week 2011
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment