Thursday, February 23, 2012

Help with selecting a major and more!?

I've applied for the 2009 Spring admission to college but am undecided in my major. What I would really like to know is how many of you college students and/or graduates knew exactly what major you wanted to graduate with? And if you thought you knew exactly what major you wanted, how many of you ended up changing your major? AND, once you did graduate with the major you wanted, how many of you ended up obtaining a job or a career that had nothing to do with your major? I want to know this because my father is pressuring me to know what major I want and what career I would want with that major, what's the outlook on that career, the salary of that career, etc. It's getting so annoying that I just want to go and work at McDonalds so I won't have to hear him ask me this practically everytime he sees me; not literally but that's what it feels like sometimes. He's just making things much worse for me than what they have to be. So if you can answer my questions it would be a great deal of help to me.Help with selecting a major and more!?
Sophomore year of high school I was deciding whether to become a teacher (which I'd always wanted to do) or a nurse (which I thought I would enjoy and is a good job choice) and also wanting to write (which I could do no matter what my primary career). I mentioned this to my counselor and eventually signed up for a high school nursing program during my junior and senior year. As much as I loved this program and was happy with going through it showed me that I did not want to become a nurse. Everyone I knew thought I was crazy when I told them I didn't want to be a nurse. It seemed like just because I was in this program they expected me to sign my life away to becoming a nurse.



I applied for college in the major of psychology but decided not to do that right before I started and switched my major to Early Childhood Education. I'm so happy with my choice! I'm a freshman now and general education classes suck but I have decided that teaching (along with writing) is what I'm meant to do. I may end up changing my major, but that doesn't bother me. I may change my career in life, oh well. There are so many things I want to do that I could end up doing anything, even something I never thought I would do.



It did annoy me when everyone was asking me about my major, choice of college, plans for the future, career, how I was going to survive my life (lol, not really), but it did get annoying so I see how you say you want to work at McDonald's. For me, I told my mom I was just going to become a bum. : p



Everyone was upset that I decided not to become a nurse and to become a teacher instead because "We need nurses, it's such a great field to get into!", "Nurses make so much money and you're so smart, you'll be out of college in 4 years!", "Teaching, why do you want to baysit kids all day.", "Teachers don't make any money.", "You'll never find a teaching job!"



It was incredibley frustrating. But I'm doing what I want, I can switch as much as I want. Because I want to do what will make me happy. My friends and family will just have to deal with it.





Good luck to you!Help with selecting a major and more!?
I knew by my junior year of HS that I wanted to major in accounting. I got my BBA in accounting and about 3 months after graduation I got a job as an accountant.



I know a few people who went to college for a certain major and due to a bunch of different factors they wound up changing their major. One of my friends started off as an actuarial science major, changed to a finance major, got a finance job, but now works as a teacher. You've got like 40+ years in the workforce, it's not uncommon to want to switch your path. It's your life and it's important to do something you're comfortable and happy with. I'm sure your dad is just trying to be helpful - he wants the best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment