Sunday, February 26, 2012

POLL: gap year or Uni?

I'm in year 12 and finish school in November. I don't know whether to take a gap year or go to Uni.



I'm not sure what career I want to take. I was thinking about a journalist but I don't think that's what I really want plus journalism is a dying career, with low job prospects and I just don't know if i want to get into that. My other thought was a museum curator, but that needs a Phd in ancient history or something.. Those are the only 2 jobs I can decide that I would probably enjoy. But I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on a degree which I will soon find useless.



Then I thought about a gap year, except I don't know what I would do during that year. I cannot afford to travel and have fun etc although that would be great. Plus, it would be kinda pointless since Id only turn 17 just after school, meaning I wouldn't be able to drink in places or go to clubs or some music festivals which are 18+. So travelling is out.



Working a low paid, crappy job like a waitress or mcdonalds or something for a whole year really does not sound appealing. What other options are there to do in a gap year?



Should I just take my chances in Uni, even though i have no clue on what I wanna do?POLL: gap year or Uni?
Travel to a country, and get a job there. Then sight see on your days off.POLL: gap year or Uni?
Go to Uni, I went to Uni after I finished year 12 and it was a very good decision.POLL: gap year or Uni?
Start off as a freshman. That's what I'm doing this October :DPOLL: gap year or Uni?
take a gap year to refresh
I don't know if it's the same in Australia, but in Canada you can go into university and take general studies or "undecided" for a year and then choose a major afterward.

I actually took a year off before I went into university, just because I was in the same boat as you; I wanted to take journalism, but realized that it doesn't have the best job prospects.



So I did the crappy jobs for a year, saved some money, and went the following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment