Monday, February 20, 2012

How do I make sure I will get a better career in this economy?

I started flight school, when I was a senior in High-school. I worked for a private pilot license and eventually obtained one. I am trying to take care of my parents and siblings, because my Dad is disabled and not able to do it. I eventually received a job at UPS as a part time supervisor, but I only make as much as someone at McDonalds who works full time. Its good and I'm not complaining. I want to fly for UPS and I have one more year before I get a bachelors degree, but I won't be finished with my flight training, since I have to pay for that seperately. I thought of joining the air gaurd, so I can still help my family, and still work for UPS. I keep questioning wether or not the career I chose will get me a good job when I am finished when I graduate. I don't want to be stuck as a part timer at UPS for 5 years waiting around to fly for them. I am single and will remain so, until I finish. I love my family and don't mind sacrificing for them, but I want to be able to take care of them and need an opinion on what I should do. I want to make sure I will get that flyng job for UPS like I have been working so hard to do.How do I make sure I will get a better career in this economy?
Hey



Good luck. As an economist and a 10 yr airline vetran even with cargo experience I can say Good luck.



Airlines are both a fantasitc industry from a fun job point of view and tough from a business point of view. High cost, high capital requirements, low margin, unionized, cyclical, etc. A tough business to make a buck in and we've seen it for over 20 years of airline losses.



You have your eyes on UPS which is a good company. And go with your heart but do not limit yourself especially in the beginning. You need both hours in the air and patience. With a pilot hours equal expereince so the more the better. But they are union jobs and you start at the bottom when your time comes...and your time can take a long time in coming.



So look at ways to make money...have a job...have fun..and get hours in the hope you catch on with UPS and have a back up in case. Like there are lots of small corrier carriers who carry thinks like small cargo and documents ...they don't use jets but it is flying and hours and a paycheck. Private planes need crew. Don't forget FedEx and smaller cargo carriers and commuter airlines as steppipng stones.



You are getting your degree which is good. And never forget knowing how to fly and airplane and manage a business is a skill people pay for.



BC
  • auto salvage
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment