Monday, February 20, 2012

Career help?

Hey guys I need some serious advise. Ok so I鈥檓 16, I live in Tampa FL, and I鈥檓 home schooled so I will end up getting a GED. But I AM planning on going to college, Probably a community college.



To be honest I don't know much about the whole mechanics of college. But what I do know is that I鈥檓 good at art and music.

I good at drums, I believe I have potential in art with creativity and all, and I would like to try acting as well (though I have no experience at all)

I have not however had my first job yet even though I鈥檝e applied to like 9 places so far.



So my question is a serious one. I need to know really what I should do with my life and what I should major in college and which type of college I should attend. I don't want to end up working at Wal-Mart, McDonalds...etc.



Please only serious answers - thanksCareer help?
Art and Music are Tuff Jobs to make any money at-- Your first year in a community college will be all review classes like Basic 12th grade: math, science, english, and history. Well in school you can meet with councelers %26amp; take career aptitude tests. If you want me to give you some more annalysis of what career you should pursue get in touch Mrenigma1983@yahoo.comCareer help?
The best thing to do is enroll in a local community college and start taking classes in different disciplines. Explore until you find exactly what you want to do. Then go for your dream, whether it be after 2 years, 4 years etc of college. I currently go to an online school (Capella) mostly because it offers me the flexibility to work full time and take care of my family. I started the whole college game late (at 24 after having 3 kids) but I do know that it is needed today no matter what career you decide to have. I will graduate in September with my Bachelors degree in Business Administration, but I started at a local community college until I knew what I wanted to do with my life. (Which wasn't working a low paying job at the local grocery store).Career help?
I didn't know what I wanted to do when I first went to college. That is okay. Go in as an undecided major. There is no harm in that. You will be required to take a number of prerequisites anyway. Explore what the school has to offer and take some classes that you think you might enjoy. And choose your major based on interest level first and the potential to actually get a job second. You'll always be able to get a job. Just make sure to get a degree. Also get out there and see what the work world is like even if it is McDonalds. It was my first job. Now I am a management consultant and working on a Ph.D. I wouldn't trade my work experience there or at Shoe Carnival, or O'Charleys or any number of jobs I had to help me get through college.



As for community college or a four year university, that depends on you. Community college can certainly ease you in, but there is nothing to be scared of in going to a big state school even. College is a great atmosphere where you learn a lot about yourself. And you've got plenty of time. Hang in there kid, you'll do fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment