Thursday, February 16, 2012

Need Input, Please!! On: Graphic Design Career, Moving, Money, etc...Please see for more detail. Thank you.?

Okay, so I need some input from people who have experience in this situation. Serious answers only.



Little Information First:

Got a break after 8th grade, where I got into homeschooling. Ended up graduating 2 years early as 16. Had two choices, become an archelogist or artist. Couldn't do Archelogist because with the war I just didn't want to chance my life at that time. So I choose artist. As soon as graduation came around I was starting my college career at 16. Recently Graduated at 20 years old with my BA in Graphic Design with Honors and now in the NTHS (National Technical Honor Society).



Now onto the questions needing input:

Okay, so I graduated what like 2 months ago. Recently became unemployed and had to move back in with my parents because of medials reasons (is why I lost my job, jerks).

Now I choose graphic design because computers because the world is a technology age and this is a way into that. I know there are tons of jobs out there in this field just not in my area. I try expanding it to ALL of IN, IL and WI, still nothing. Now I am reading up on things and people say when you graduate the sky is the limit meaning find a job and plant it, no matter where, all you need is that first yes.



1.The hard thing though is getting the first yes.

2. Finding money to relocate, since I can't even find money to pay my bills even living at home, and all I have is a car payment (which is paid off in 3 years), 2 credit cards (which aren't much, just to start getting credit when I turned 18), and all my school loans which I will have to start to pay back soon.



I think those two things are quite a lot right now. I mean I dont have the money to relocate, I am starting to doubt my graphic design abilities (I am strong in print design aspect), and right now I am lucky if I get a mcdonalds job in this economy in my small town area.



Any suggestions or input. How can people say the things that they say without any answers for other people on how they do it. I want to find a graphic design job, I love this career (I have 3 months on the job experience), i love art, at this point I dont care where I relocate as long as I have a job in my field that is strong, and secure. However, when you have just graduated college no one is going to give you a job entry level or not (doesnt matter to me I am a quick learned), and pay for relocation. That would be amazing, but not realistic. So how do people do it???? Borrowing is not an option. I feel like I just keep getting farther and farther into debt, and farther and farther away from using my career that I paid so much money for and are in debt for.



Any input or suggestions. Once against serious answers only, preferably experienced in this situation so I can better understand the answer and meanings. Thank you. :)Need Input, Please!! On: Graphic Design Career, Moving, Money, etc...Please see for more detail. Thank you.?
I have been in your situation and still, in many ways, are where you are. I graduated about a year a half ago and just recently found a part-time job in Graphic Design. The goal of course is full-time, but with the way the economy is, I am just grateful that I could find a job in the field I went to school for.



The biggest thing right now is for you to gain more experience. I know that it's hard when it seems like no one is willing to hire an Entry Level Designer, but you need to find work where you can. Do as much freelance work as you can so you can get a better idea of what it's like to work with clients. I would strongly suggest getting an internship. Although a lot of them don't pay, the experience will look good on your resume and there is always the possibility that they could hire you on if you do well. If you do find an unpaid internship you'll probably have to get a part-time job doing something else so you can pay your bills. Check out: http://www.craigslist.org for job/internship opportunities.



This goes hand in hand with experience, but make sure you have a strong portfolio. When you first are starting out it's perfectly fine to showcase your school work, but make sure to incorporate real work once you start doing freelance. Have both a print and web portfolio to show potential employers as well.



Another suggestion, you said you're a strong Print Designer but the way the industry is going, more companies are looking for Web Designers or Graphic Designers who can design for the web so you might want to try designing web graphics. The more skills you have, the more desirable you will be and the better chance you will have of landing a job.



Try networking as well because the more people you know, the better off you will be. Do you have friends from college who are in the same field as you? They might be able to give you leads on jobs.



I hope some of this helps and good luck with everything!
  • gas mileage calculator
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment