Thursday, February 23, 2012

Will a business degree benefit my chances of making more money as a manager at McDonald's?

I am 18 years old and currently a manager trainee at McDonald's. I graduate from an early college (high school and first two years of college) in December. I want to go to a 4 year university in the spring. I was thinking of quitting McDonald's completely and study Nursing. But should I go for Business Management? My goal is to have a successful career and be able to take care of myself financially. Will it benefit me to have a Business Management degree? What should be my concentration? Could I make more money that way? Should I quit McDonald's and go for Nursing because it's a well-paying career? But is managing a fast food restaurant well-paying as well? Once I'm a verified manager I will only be making $9.50. I want to make at least $30 an hour or have a salary. What should I do?



Thanks for any advice.Will a business degree benefit my chances of making more money as a manager at McDonald's?
$9.50 certainly doesn't make for a career type of job, but start asking people like general managers how long it took them to work their way up to managing several stores and what type of salary you could be looking at there. plus, more profitable McDonalds stores pay their managers more, so you could always look at transferring to a higher-paying store once you get some experience behind you and prove that you're doing well.



also ask the GM if a degree would be more beneficial to your career. they're really going to be your best sources for what to do and not anybody on here. check out their track record and copy theirs.



if you were considering business school as a way of working your way up the McDonalds ladder, also consider that it would mean leaving the store for 2-4 years, meaning you'll miss out on that valuable experience, and that you're going to incur a mountain of debt from the tuition--it'd be better to make $30,000 per year with no debt than $40,000 and have school loans to pay off for the next 15 years.



identify the specific job you want through briefly interviewing people who have that job, and then find out the best way to get it. even if you were thinking about leaving McDonalds, it might even be best to stick around until you have at least 6 months of time as a full manager. that way when you're searching for your next position, you can truly say that you have management experience, which is very valuable in a workplace situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment