Sunday, February 26, 2012

Which career would give me more of what I want?

Please note, what I want as a young single woman is far different from what i'll NEED as a married woman in the future. I want to be a stay at home mom later in life...say about 15 years.



I'm 19 years old, and right now I work at McDonald's.



I want to take a nice vacation every few years. I want to be able to spend $2,000 per year in the mall if I want.



I want a home of my own with windows that open, carpet to walk on, lots of lighting, a nice soft cozy bed, and my very own walk in closet. I also want a bath tub! I'll get a spa tub later on if I have the money, but it would be so nice to take a bubble bath and soak every night. A shower is just a standard deal.



I also want to earn $50,000 a year, have benefits, and know my work schedule week to week. I don't want to ever work nights again, and I would really like to not have to work saturday and sunday, but I can't be THAT picky.



I pray that I'll be able to get all of that one day, but I know that nothing in life is guaranteed, and God never laughs harder than when you tell Him what YOU have planned.



So, right now, I want to major in finance. My mom was money crazy, and that may or may not have something to do with it. I've decided that no matter what, I'm sticking with finance. I can't afford to spend years trying to find what I love in life. Life isn't supposed to be filled with happiness in all aspects.



What career, in or not in, finance would give me most of what I would like to have?Which career would give me more of what I want?
Well, finance is a good career - but it's also a pretty tough degree to get. I personally am quite good at mathematics, but some of the finance questions I have been presented with boggle even my formula-receptive mind. I mean, I am completely comfortable with formulas - I have been trained to be comfortable with them and that's really not the problem. Finance formulas can be EXTREMELY confusing though, in my experience.



Anyways, another option for you might be accounting, which is the field I went into. And it's great. To some people, it's mundane or boring. Not to me. It makes me good money ($50 per hour), no nights, no weekends. There are some formulas used in accounting as well, but nowhere near as complicated as in finance. Accounting is more conceptual, i.e. it's more about understanding how to properly account for financial transactions rather than trying to evaluate the maturity value or the present value of some bond issuance or things like that.



Whichever career you choose, it's going to take at least 4 years of schooling for you to be a viable candidate for jobs in either field.

No comments:

Post a Comment