Thursday, February 16, 2012

I would like to have a career but worry it's never gonna happen?

I graduated from college a few years ago. I worked full time to get the degree, while other kids were out having a social life I was working 24/7- all kinds of unpleasant jobs.



I have a BA in Spanish but I've never had a decent job, just a series of crappy ones. I've never had a real career.



I just got my Tefl certificate and would like to teach English overseas. The trouble is, that I need to save up a substantial amount of $$$ before I can go abroad and teach.



I've been substitute teaching, and the work environment is getting increasingly hostile and I'm not getting paid enough to live decently, let alone survive. I can't quit but it's clear that I HAVE to find some other position. Summer is coming up, which means no jobs. I won't quit without another job lined up, but I'm worried that I'll never find something else.





I don't wanna work in some fast food place or some other crappy job. I worked so hard for my education, and I suffered in all sorts of crappy jobs and I feel I've paid my dues. I've NEVER had a career, or a decent job. I feel like I deserve to have good things. People accuse me of being snobby, but I risked/sacrificed so much for a college degree and I don't wanna go back to where I used to be. I had similar crappy jobs and was so miserable and i don't wanna be miserable again.



I feel like I don't have any control over my life!! I don't want to be stuck in a rut of doing crappy jobs for the rest of my life!! I don't wanna just survive, I want... a life! I'm so scared I'm gonna be 50 years old and working at McDonalds or something. That would be so humiliating after all I sacrificed to get through school. I want dreams and fulfillment, you only get one chance at life and so much of mine has passed me by.



I would like to go back to school and have a career but I'm scared I'm too old or that my grades will keep me out.



I'm starting to wish, wish, WISH I'd been a veterinarian or an environmental engineer or an artist.



Is this ridiculous or is it too late for me to go to vet school, or be an engineer or even go back to law school?



My 31st birthday is coming up...



I still want to Tefl for a bit but don't know if it's the long term answer for me.I would like to have a career but worry it's never gonna happen?
languages are ok, and can be profitable, but its got to be a language in high demand, Chinese, Farsi, Urdu, Russian, are quite popular with government. Not sure if you want to continue studying languages.



besides with most service industries being outsourced, and english being required, teaching ESL %26lt;english as second language%26gt; is a moot point.



i think you should research what types of jobs youre interested in, and what skills are youre strongest, and what salary expectations you have, and work from there. If theres a specific salary expectation you want or expect, understand that it will take specific skills you may not have.



good luck. remember there are others like you going through this so be patient. people who have

had their careers shut down because of the economy.

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment